Monday, 9 March 2009

Back home

Well it's Monday again and I'm back from Ashurst Wood! My journey to Claire's house didn't go according to plan and I had to be rescued by her husband David!

The first bus from here was fine, the second bus took me to Biggin Hill (they have air shows from there) but I went past the stop I should have got off and it turned off the main road and went down a REALLY steep hill. I asked a local person how often the buses were that went back up the hill and she said every half an hour and I'd just missed it! So I took the long walk back up the hill, all the time telling myself it was good exercise! I realise how unfit I am as I had to keep stopping to get my breath back! I finally made it to the top, found the right bus stop and saw that I had to wait another half an hour, the buses are only two an hour've guessed it, I'd just missed it again! In between all the walking and waiting I was speaking to Claire on the phone and she kept offering to come and get me but I was determined to make it on my own!

I finally got to Westerham which is near to where Winston Churchill's house is and after trying to find the right bus stop for my final bus ride I realised that I'd just missed that one as well! I phoned the Travel-line and was told that there was only three of those buses a day to East Grinstead and the next one wasn't until 5.30, that was when I phoned Claire to let her know and she got David to come and pick me up. Well my intentions were good but I'll think twice before attempting it again. If I hadn't had to walk up that steep hill I'd have got the final bus of course so it was my own fault because I'd missed the stop.

I was really sorry that I wasn't in time to go with Claire to meet the twins from school although I was at their house for about five minutes when they arrived home, they were so surprised to see me in the lounge when they walked in! We caught up with all their news and they showed me various certificates that they'd got from school and Grace from her dance class. I took some Easter card making kits for them and they made some while I was there, the ones for their mum and dad had to be kept hidden of course! Apart from the journey there, it was a lovely weekend, Peter came yesterday and we had dinner with Claire before driving home.

This week I have to get ready for our trip to France, we leave at 3.30am this Friday, it takes us about an hour to drive to Dover and we get the ferry at 5am. As the new kitchen flooring will be laid the day after we get home, we have to move everything out of the kitchen into the dining room by Thursday. Today I'm going to take as much as I can upstairs to one of the spare bedrooms, you don't realise how much you have until something like this happens!

Hope you all have a good day!


I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'm glad you had a good time after you finally got there. It's hard doing things like that when you are not familiar with where the stops are. I had my kitchen redone a few years ago and I know what you are going through moving it all out. I never did put everything back in the kitchen after moving it all out. It is a lot of work. You'll be ready for a rest by the time you leave for your trip. Take care! 'On Ya'-ma

Kath said...

Hi Pat,Sorry you had so much waiting and walking to do on your venture.Typical isn't it when we plan suprizes.I would have been out of breath too climbing steep hills.LOL!!I hope you have alovely break in France don't miss the ferry will you because you carn't walk on water he-he.New kitchen floor how lovely,but what a pain it is moving things.I'm in that boat right now doing the bedroom.SIGH!!I bet the children were delighted making the cards.I love to do craft like that with my Grandchildren when I get the chance.Have a good week.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

Sandra said...

Hi Pat, I know I`d getr lost if I had to go anywhere by bus. I`m ok driving or travelling by train but I`m hopeless with! I`m glad you had a good day despite the walk up the hill. Have a lovely trip to France and good luck with the flooring when you get back. :o)

Love and Hugs

Sandra xxxx

Marie said...

Oh dear Pat!! What an adventure you had! I know how you must have felt. I was so worried this past month when I had to fly over to America by myself and change planes in Atlanta on the way over and then again in Kentucky on the way back. I was so worried that I would miss my connecting flights etc. I did ok though, thank heavens!!! I wish I was going to France with you! It is beautiful in the South this time of year!